Can you imagine going to school without a pencil or a notebook? Well, in most of the countries where IOCC works, there are children who do not have even these basic school supplies. Church World Service (CWS), a longtime partner of IOCC, makes it possible to send school kits to needy children through its CWS service kits program. By putting together a CWS service kit, you can give a less fortunate child the tools needed to do well in school. CWS will collect the kits at a warehouse facility, prepare them for shipment and work together with IOCC to make sure these kits reach these children when needed.
- Buy a 12” by 14” or 14” x 16” cloth bag with cloth handles and a closure (VELCRO®, snap or button) and fill it with the following items:
- One pair of blunt scissors (rounded tip)
- Three 70-count spiral or tape-bound pads of 8” x 10-1/2” ruled paper or pads with 200-210 sheets. Please do not provide loose-leaf or filler paper.
- One 30-centimeter ruler (12”)
- One hand-held pencil sharpener
- Six new pencils with erasers
- One eraser, 2-1/2”
- One box of 24 crayons (only 24)
- Secure the bag and pack it in a box. Secure the box with packing tape.
- Clearly mark the outside of the box with the type of kit ("School Kit-IOCC") and number of kits that are enclosed. Apply the correct amount of postage and mail the box to the following address:
IOCC / Church World Service
Brethren Service Center Annex
601 Main St.
P.O. Box 188
New Windsor, Md. 21776-0188
Be sure to include the name of the parish, group or individual sending the kits on the box.
Click here for CWS Service Kit Frequently-Asked Questions.