For many people, the appreciated value of their stocks, bonds and mutual funds may also present a tax challenge. By making a gift of appreciated securities directly to IOCC, you support the life-sustaining mission of IOCC and may benefit from your capital appreciation without having to pay a sizeable portion in income taxes.
The benefits of making a contribution of appreciated securities held for more than one year may include:
- Avoiding Federal and State income tax on the Long Term Capital Gain.
- Receiving an income tax deduction (Federal and most states) for the full market value of your gift. This deduction is available if you itemize deductions on your tax return.
- The Charitable Deduction may be limited to 30 percent of your Adjusted Gross Income. The unused portion can be carried forward over the next five years.
- Giving appreciated securities may also help you to achieve your long-term financial objectives by reducing Estate taxes.
If you have securities that have declined in value over the years and are interested in donating them to IOCC, you may find it more advantageous to first sell the securities and then contribute the proceeds to IOCC. This should allow you to claim a deduction for both the loss from the sale of the securities as well as the charitable gift.
In order to enjoy the full benefits of donating appreciated securities, they must be transferred directly to IOCC.
If you are considering a gift of securities, please contact our Development Office at 877-803-4622 or firstname.lastname@example.org and provide us with your name, address, telephone number, name of the Security, type of shares, number of shares and the date you intend to make the gift.
By providing this information, you help to ensure delivery and enable us to provide you with the receipt you will need for tax purposes. You may also notify us by filling in the form below.
This educational information is not intended as legal, tax or investment advice. Before you make a gift of appreciated securities you should consult your financial planner or tax adviser to determine how the potential tax benefits described here apply to your specific situation. International Orthodox Christian Charities is a tax-exempt not-for-profit organization as described in section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Gifts and bequests are deductible for income, gift and estate tax purposes to the extent allowed by law.
Electronic Funds Transfer for Securities
Please follow these simple steps to notify International Orthodox Christian Charities of your donation of securities:
- Contact your broker to initiate the transfer of your securities to International Orthodox Christian Charities.
- Complete this form and send it to International Orthodox Christian Charities at the time of the gift transfer so we can accurately identify, allocate and acknowledge your gift. Please fill-in the form below and press "Submit" to notify IOCC of your contribution of securities.
Click here if you'd like to download the form in PDF format. You can print out the form and mail or fax the completed document to:
International Orthodox Christian Charities
Director of Development
110 West Road, Suite 360
Baltimore, MD 21204