This year to date, IOCC’s US Program has engaged over 350 field volunteers across its various projects and deployments throughout the US. We rely on dedicated men and women who mobilize in various parts of the country, putting their faith into action.
In this special edition of the Volunteer Update, you will learn more regarding our current projects and find information about how you can get involved. Please join us in our efforts as an Action Team Volunteer to help get families safely back into their homes.
Volunteers like you make the work of IOCC’s US Program possible. Thank you for everything you do to support IOCC’s mission to serve.
Archdeacon Paul Zaharas
US Country Representative
PS – This email is in the works as the Atlantic hurricane season picks up. Our US team is closely monitoring storms as they approach and preparing for possible response. Please check out resources for your family at iocc.org/getprepared and pray with us for everyone who may be affected.
Wrapping Up Hurricane Ida Response in Louisiana
Hurricane Ida struck Louisiana in September 2021, leaving disaster in its wake. IOCC deployed to the area directly after the storm to start the recovery process with cleanup work and emotional and spiritual care. Volunteers mucked out 74 homes like the one pictured above. In May 2022, IOCC shifted into long-term recovery through home builds. Since then, IOCC has made repairs on 15 homes. Almost 700 volunteers from across the US made this possible. Thank you!
At the end of July 2023, IOCC completed its Hurricane Ida efforts in Louisiana. We offer heartfelt thanks to the organizations and donors that made this project possible. AmeriCorps NCCC, NECHAMA Jewish Response to Disaster, NVOAD, the Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society, the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, World Renew, United Way of St. Charles Parish, UPS Foundation, and Orthodox parishes from across the country were essential to the success of the project and getting families back in their homes.
To learn more about how IOCC serves after disasters across the US, visit iocc.org/actionteam.
On the Ground
Western Kentucky Tornado Home Builds
Starting in January 2023, IOCC, along with US disaster-response partner Inspiritus, started rebuilding homes damaged by the tornadoes that struck the western side of Kentucky in December 2021. Since January, IOCC has hosted 20 volunteer teams, an AmeriCorps NCCC team that worked for six weeks, and numerous local volunteers for work across three counties.
So far, 10 homes have been completed, repairs on 12 are currently underway, and 9 more are slated to begin repairs soon. To help us complete this important work, sign up to volunteer with us at iocc.org/actionteam. If you are unable to volunteer, but would like to support this program, please donate at iocc.org/donate.
“Our experience was incredible,” said one recent volunteer. “While we were there to help an owner rebuild his home, we learned so much, had great fellowship, and cherished getting to know our team lead…. Thank you. God bless all who help with IOCC!”
Serv Conference Alumni in Action
IOCC hosted two home builds for Serv-X-Treme alumni this summer, one in June in Louisiana, and one in August in Kentucky, with 10 students in attendance. It was a great opportunity for alumni of our youth service-leadership conference to reconnect with peers from their cohort and to meet those who attended other years as well. It was also a great opportunity to serve homeowners and put faith into action!
Home Build Volunteer Opportunities
We need volunteers to work with our teams on the ground! Get your hands dirty helping neighbors across the US. To register, visit the links below.
- Western Kentucky Tornado Response – Now through October!
- Florida Hurricane Ian Response – Now through October!
Interested in planning your own virtual or in-person event to raise awareness about IOCC? Get one on the calendar today! We’d love to help you organize, so please contact IOCC’s Outreach team at 410.243.9820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check for updates at iocc.org/events. And thank you for partnering with us!
- September 16 – Denver, CO: IOCC Pan-Orthodox 5K Run/Walk
- September 24 – Pittsburgh, PA: Ukrainian Relief Dinner & Prayer Service
- September 24 – St. Louis, MO: 21st Annual IOCC Banquet
- September 30 – Chicago, IL: Walk the Walk for IOCC
- October 3 – Virginia Beach, VA: St. Nicholas Golf Tournament
- October 7 – Virginia Beach, VA: 11th Annual St. Sav Mission Walk
- October 7 – Charlotte, NC: A Taste of IOCC
- October 13 to 15 – Richmond, VA: Serving for Charity Tennis Tournament Weekend to Benefit IOCC
- October 14 – Baltimore, MD: Team IOCC at the Baltimore Running Festival
- October 16 – Cleveland, OH: Wine Tasting to Benefit IOCC
- October 19 – Pittsburgh, PA: Oktoberfest Happy Hour
- October 21 – Austin, TX: Garden Party
- October 29 – Philadelphia, PA: 12th Annual Banquet to Benefit IOCC
- November 2 – Pittsburgh, PA: Bourbon Tasting to Benefit IOCC
- November 4 – Sacramento, CA: Cocktails for a Cause
- November 5 – San Francisco, CA: IOCC Food and Wine Tour
- December 3 – Grand Rapids, MI: A Kaleidoscope Christmas Pan-Orthodox Choir
IOCC Is Hiring!
Bring your expertise to an organization making a difference around the world, and join our team. Know someone who would be a perfect fit? Please pass this info along to them! For full job descriptions and application instructions, visit iocc.org/careers.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Officer
- Director of Communications
- Development Officer, West Coast
- Program Officer for the Middle East
- Human Resources Generalist
Stay Connected to IOCC Online!
Join us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and our Latest Updates page to keep up to date with IOCC news, view event photos, and get a firsthand look at how your support is changing lives around the world.