Secure a Brighter Future for Others
Make a Philanthropic Gift of Your Securities
Have your stocks, bonds or mutual funds appreciated to the point where they’re presenting an income tax challenge for you?
You may benefit from your capital appreciation without having to pay a sizable portion in income taxes. How? By making a gift of appreciated securities directly to IOCC.
Your philanthropic gift of securities can give a child, a family, or even a community a brighter future. Your generosity may even help save a life.
Your tax benefits from making a contribution of appreciated securities held for more than one year may include:
- Avoiding federal and state income tax on the long term capital gain.
- Receiving an income tax deduction (federal and most states) for the full market value of your gift. This deduction is available if you itemize deductions on your tax return.
- The charitable deduction may be limited to 30% of your adjusted gross income. The unused portion can be carried forward over the next five years.
- Giving appreciated securities may also help you to achieve your long-term financial objectives by reducing estate taxes.
- NOTE: In order to enjoy the full benefits of donating appreciated securities, they must be transferred directly to IOCC.
Plus, you’ll have the satisfaction of helping others by supporting IOCC’s humanitarian mission. This may mean helping a woman overseas start a family business so her children can go to school and eventually attend university. It could mean helping a farming family grow their production so they earn a better living. It might meant providing refugees with shelter, food, clothing, and so much more.
On the other hand, what if you have securities that have declined in value over the years?
You can still benefit by donating them to IOCC. However, you may find it more advantageous to first sell the securities and then contribute the proceeds to IOCC. This should allow you to claim a deduction for both the loss from the sale of the securities and the charitable gift.
This educational information is not intended as legal, tax, or investment advice. Before you make a gift of appreciated securities you should consult your financial planner or tax adviser to determine how the potential tax benefits described here apply to your specific situation. International Orthodox Christian Charities is a tax-exempt not-for-profit organization as described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Gifts and bequests are deductible for income, gift and estate tax purposes to the extent allowed by law.
How to Give Securities
The easiest way to make a gift of securities is through a direct transfer, simply:
- Contact your broker to initiate the transfer of your securities to International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC).
- Complete this form at the time of the gift transfer so we can accurately identify, allocate, and acknowledge your gift. Please fill in the form below and press “Submit” to notify IOCC of your contribution of securities. Thank you.