IOCC’s US Hurricane Response
Part of IOCC’s US programming is emergency response and disaster relief here in the United States. When a natural or human-caused disaster threatens and affects a community, IOCC connects with partners, conducts rapid needs assessments, and determines the most effective response.
IOCC works with local Orthodox churches, members of national and state VOADs (Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster), and ecumenical partners to meet immediate needs and support long-term recovery.
How We Help
Emotional and Spiritual Care: IOCC Frontliners are trained to support people facing trauma and working toward healing.
Emergency Action Teams: Led by trained leaders and supported by two IOCC emergency response vehicles, emergency volunteers help clean up homes after floods, hurricanes, and more.
Emergency Items:IOCC’s gifts-in-kind program can supply various items, depending on needs—from food and baby products to roof tarps, hygiene kits, and generators.
Clean-Up Buckets:Part of IOCC’s kit partnership, these buckets give people a way to start clearing water-damaged homes of muck and debris, the first step toward recovery
Financial Assistance for Families:Depending on needs in a given situation, IOCC may provide families with funding to help them address their needs.
Long-Term Recovery:IOCC home-build teams dedicate a week to helping families rebuild their homes—meeting needs that remain months or even years after a disaster has passed.
Hurricane Michael struck the Florida Panhandle as one of the most powerful hurricanes to ever hit the country, causing extensive storm surge on the coast and hundreds of tornadoes as it crossed into Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia. The full extent of damage is still ...
Hurricane Florence has set a direct course for the Carolinas and is expected to cause torrential rain, dangerous flooding, and storm surge across the region. IOCC is preparing ...
IOCC's updated response to Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria. Read here for more information on how we're helping.
Less than a week after Harvey struck the Houston area, Hurricane Irma moved across the Caribbean leaving devastation in its wake.
How Can You Help?
- Pray for those affected by storms and for IOCC staff supporting people in tremendous need.
- Make a financial gift to IOCC’s US Emergency Response Fund, which enables us to act quickly and effectively as needs arise. Please do not donate material goods unless it is something we have specifically requested, like clean-up buckets.
- Create clean-up buckets. There’s always a need for clean-up buckets, so please consider putting some together and shipping them to our warehouse for distribution. Click here for instructions.
- Volunteers are needed periodically for Emergency Action Teams. Those interested can read more and apply here.
- Stay updated on IOCC’s response at iocc.org/blog and on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram